Nov 26, 2007

Brief thought on Ephesians 4:1-16

So I was reading this passage this morning and one thing struck me...Paul introduces this section by stating that he is a slave of the Lord. But what was the most challenging was that in v 9ff he then talks about Christ coming to earth as an example of humility. It would be easy to look at the first few verses and come away with the idea that to be a slave it to unify the body. Many times that becomes an excuse for the toleration of members who bring shame to the name of Christ. But to understand the passage you must go on. Ultimate unity comes from ultimate sacrifice! v 14 states that when we realize this we will no longer be infants.

You see, unity does not come by seeking communion with all stripes of Christianity, unity comes by being humble. But I do not think we know what it is to be humble, Christ was truly humble yet he stood in our place on the cross. Sure it stinks to make yourself suffer, sure it stinks to limit yourself for unity...but Jesus did it so why can't we? So am I willing to sacrifice my liberty and freedom so that the body will be unified? Will I be humble even when those around me aren't? It is easy to be humble for those who are humble, not so easy to be humble for those who don't care.

No comments: